The Jake's Cafe Creative Community celebrated its second anniversary in June 2012 with over 30 members from a variety of disciplines successfully working together under a single roof. We are debt free, self-sustaining and continuing to attract new members each month. Some of our most recent members include music composition, digital animation and sound design! It's exciting to have so many creative people work together, sharing ideas, sharing business contacts and even doing business with one another. We have attracted the attention of creative community start-ups all over Wisconsin. Why? Perhaps its because we were the first to define the niche…at least in Wisconsin.
So you might ask…how did we do it? Here are a few of the more important items. They're not in order, but they're all important which is why if you're thinking about a creative community of your own…they all need to be considered. If you have time, review the Jake's website and even visit our community and learn more about how we put these principles to work.
1. A firm statement of values/beliefs.
2. A clear vision of what your community can be.
3. A simple, yet worth mission statement.
4. Trustworthy team of partners who aren't afraid to pick up the broom
5. An authentic, interesting and eclectic campus. A mix of old and new. Evidence of great design.
6. Protection of your member classifications so they don't compete with one another.
7. Comfortable lobby and receptionist
8. Shared meeting space (inside/outside)
9. Boardroom/Theatre with top notch AV equipment
10. Member Cafe w/ free coffee (small cups to encourage more visits:-)
11. Good security
12. Signage policy
13. Good website to promote members and community
14. Shared network/wireless internet
15. Color Printing
16. Secretarial/Bookkeeping services
17. Nearby parking
18. Presentation preparation room w/ computer and access to design programs. And lots of materials
19. Rituals and events
20. Comfortable and inspiring environment
21. Get messy areas
22. Common library
23. A brand champion that maintains good relationships and solicits work with the adjacent business community.
24. Relationships with nearby colleges and technical schools.